I just finished my twenty second book of the year which puts me slightly ahead of schedule! I believe it is week twenty now.
My latest read was Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher. You can see my "Reading in 2010" page on the blog or my goodreads account for a list of the books I have read, want to read, and reviews.
There are some true and important messages in this book. This book would make a great read-a-loud, it is exciting and full of adventure, and teaches a few good lessons. (It is one of the read-a-louds for Sonlight - lots of great books in their curriculum I wish I had read as a child or teen. Their catalog is a great free resource for picking out books to read to your kids or help them find good stories at the library.) I enjoyed that the heroine did not have physical or spiritual perfection but was on a journey.
I really enjoyed the little bits of wisdom at the beginning of each chapter. One quote I particularly liked was, "People will take what they need from the stories they hear." Another quote says, "Sometimes I wonder if the stories you tell begin to tug at your life, begin to change it in some mysterious way." This reminds me that the books I read influence my thoughts and views about the world in sometimes small ways- you are what you read so to speak. I need to spend more time reading books that will help stretch me as a person and especially the greatest book of all time to make sure it is the one shaping my thoughts, values, and my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment