Saturday, May 22, 2010

Operation - Get SMART Already!

So,  something has been eating my lettuce and now is working it's way down the line to my spinach and is trying to eat it all up.   It would have been just ready for harvesting too.  Alas, now it is probably going to be getting too hot for the lettuce and spinach but I tried to replant anyway.  If it fails, I will try again for a fall crop of lettuce.   I tried planting some bibb lettuce, more of the same spinach and lettuce as before and a few more sugar snap peas.  Below is what I should have done from the beginning to protect our tiny harvest.

I hope this helps deter whatever is getting into the garden.  Just to be sure, I want to stake the fencing in around the bottom.  Today we headed to Lowes to purchase necessary light weight garden fencing and posts.  They had their kids workshop today too so it was a fun morning at Lowes.  I came out with a few more than the three items I went in for...how does that happen? 

 BTW:  My neighbor already has a full size squash and giant plants.  She has already harvested her spinach and some lettuce.  It is amazing.  I have garden envy.  Forgive me.  She has two tabletop gardens about twice as deep as ours.  Very nice.  I digress...

Today I saw this sweet little sugar snap pea.  We harvested him and ate him raw today.
The carrots are below. 
The basil we grew from seed.  Some parsley (tiny) on the upper right.
The empty space below and left should be more lettuce.  On the bottom right, is a chewed up left over piece of lettuce.

Do you see the little spinach nubs at the top left by whatever harvested my spinach?

Hopefully we will soon have new spouts, safely growing, free from rascally rabbits or other critters.

1 comment:

  1. Looks pretty good. I hope that you get whatever is eating it though. :)

    ReplyDelete