Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Toolbox Tuesday

Here's a little something that I keep in my parenting toolbox and it is probably the reason Hannah claims not to know current hits for kids these days.  I am sure I got the idea from one or more much wiser, smarter moms...

Whenever we are in the car on a long road trip or just traveling ten minutes to the next activity, we listen to CD's.  It prevents fighting in the car (ok, at least minimizes it) and the kids might learn a valuable lesson or two from good story telling.

So now as soon as the car starts, the requests begin.  Their favorite is any Adventures in Odyssey.  Ben loves the recent CD's by Chickfila - Between the Lions stories.  Currently though, we are listening to "The Silver Chair" audio drama by Focus on the Family and story by C.S. Lewis from The Chronicles of Narnia series.  Normally we save these for longer road trips of an hour or more as the books are each 3 or 4 CDs.  This one we started on a road trip recently but didn't finish yet. 

I love those books.  Listening to this drama just reminds me of the literary genius of C.S. Lewis.  I may just need to reread those.  Love them.

In "The Silver Chair", I really like the part where Jill is supposed to remember the signs given to her by Aslan but when she gets into Narnia (the world) the signs get muddled and she can't remember them clearly.  She even forgets to recite them to herself when she rises and when she lies down at night.  Hmmm, that sounds familiar.  This rings true when it comes to my Christian walk too.  I think I will never forget the truths I should be living by but so often, I am afraid, they get muddled up in my head and oft forgotten in my daily living when immersed in the world.  Hence, the reason, I need to stay plugged in daily to THE ultimate source of authority, wisdom, and truth.

His work in progress...

What's in your toolbox?

1 comment:

  1. books on cd are a favorite of ours, too. I tend to get caught up with the story right along with them!

    ReplyDelete